Sunday, May 27, 2007

Graduation

Friday and Saturday, I went through the graduation ceremonies. Friday was the hoodingn ceremony--where your advisor gives you your pretty hood that I will wear to the W&L graduations and events. Saturday was convocation and commencement. (I need to look up what the differences are between convocation and commencement.) It was a lot of fun and I got pretty emotional, but it's kind of awkward because I know that I haven't finished writing my dissertation yet and I have another month until I defend. I don't have a sense of closure. So, maybe I should have waited until next year to participate in the ceremonies. Or, maybe, the defense will be closure enough.

I'm not completely ungrateful. In fact, I'm mostly very happy:



Lori has three students graduating this year: Mike, Dave, and me. Kiera (Mike's daughter) won't graduate for another 25 years or so. (I liked this unposed shot better than the posed ones.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! (You get congratulations again when your thesis and defense are done...) The robes look a lot like Duke robes.

When are you moving to W&L?

SS said...

July 11 is the defense date. Still working on finishing the dissertation. The plan is to move to W&L at the end of July. I'll keep you posted!