Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I'm a Bad Pet Owner!

Sydney is back in Newark, after nearly three weeks in Dallastown. The blizzard postponed when I could pick her up. I brought her back Sunday early afternoon, just before our next winter storm picked up. The long absence made me forget basic pet needs.

Tonight, I was getting ready for bed in the bathroom. As you know, Syd has been my bathroom buddy recently. This time, Sydney was hanging out by the toilet while I was using the sink. I laughed, but then I watched what she was doing. She stood up at the toilet. Well, that's new. And, she started cleaning her paw. Huh? Then, I watched her repeatedly put her paw in the water and lick off her paw.

Suddenly, it dawned on me: I hadn't given her water yet. It's been over 48 hours! I had remembered to feed her and to clean her litter box. I also had given her wet food and added water to it (because the vet had recommended that for Syd's sensitive stomach). Still, the kitty needed more water. She had been spending a lot of time in the bathroom, even when I wasn't there. She may have been getting water from the sink and bathtub.

I don't know why she didn't just say something instead of being all passive-aggressive. "Oh, that's okay. I don't neeee-eeed water. I can just slowly paw it out of the toilet."

No comments: