Monday, November 20, 2006

Laptop Update

My iBook turned 3 last month, so of course it's having problems now. To catch you up, the laptop wasn't showing red anymore. When I hooked the laptop up to an external monitor, the display was fine, so it was definitely a hardware problem.

Frank and I went to the Apple store. After hooking up the laptop to an external monitor, the Genius said that he'd have to send the laptop out, which would cost $280. Frank questioned the genius about the possible causes of the problem. I don't remember the genius's answer. Frank asked why it wasn't just a pin. The genius said that that's not how the laptop's screen works: if a pin is loose, then the screen would get no signal.

So, we came home and thought real hard about my options. I was bummed--I need my laptop to last about another 9 months. On Sunday, Frank looked up directions for operating on the laptop. After finding the right tools (he didn't even realize that he had the right tools), he opened up the case where the screen is. He pulled up the foil tape and tightened the connections. He rebooted the machine and Sydney's pretty picture (in full techni-color) filled my screen again. Whew. That was lucky. That was the limit to how far Frank was willing to go to fix the problem, and--thank goodness--that was enough.

Footnote: I'm using "genius" as Apple uses the term, but I'm leaning towards using "genius" as I did in reference to Manager Ray Miller--the misunderstood Orioles manager/genius.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you have no idea what i went through with those *geniuses*.
they ended up replacing my machine under warrenty a year ago.
i'm just happy to be living next to an apple authorized service provider that's not an apple store.