Saturday, October 07, 2006

My Trip to San Diego

I'm posting from San Diego. (Ain't the internet grand?)

I attended the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing. I was in the Ph.D. Forum. I'm always a wreck when presenting. This time the feedback was basically "well-structured, well-delivered talk; needs to make eye contact; needs enthusiam; nice smiles." I'm still processing this feedback. We'll see how I factor it into my talks and into my job talk.

The highlight of the trip was seeing Sally Ride give a great talk. Childhood heros are so cool. I'm disappointed that I didn't get my picture taken with her for my Christmas letter. I'll have to talk to Patrick about making that picture for me.

At the end of her talk, there was a Q&A. The final question was "Seriously: do you or have you ever owned a Mustang?" She laughed and said that the question had dogged her her entire life. It took me a second, but I figured out what the reference was. (Hint)

I will have to post a picture of the polar bears at the San Diego zoo later. I don't have a picture with me and the polar bears either.

While at the conference, I got to reunite with some former and current Dukies. I found out that I have more loyal followers than I thought. Makes me a little writing-shy, but I'll get over it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In San Diego
Grace Hopper Celebration
No testosterone!

Anonymous said...

Sally Ride at Satty's

Sally Ride visits the LSRC

SS said...

Both comments cracked me up!