Monday, August 20, 2007

Breaking My Promise

I left my camera in my parents' car, so I can't upload the photos from our adventure. How dippy yet totally predictable.

Some highlights:

Monday, we went to the Stonewall Jackson's house, take a horse carriage tour of Lexington, visit Lee Chapel, wander around W&L and VMI, and visit the VMI museum.

There were rugs in Jackson's house that weren't original. The guide told us that the rugs were woven in Red Lion, PA. Mom was all, "Dudette! We're from Dallastown!" The guide was impressed. Not really. I explained to the guide that we go to church in Red Lion, which is right next to Dallastown. I can't believe the guide didn't know the famous Dallastown/Red Lion rivalry.

The visit to the Lee Chapel would have been a bust because of a poor tour guide, but, luckily, the ghost of Lee was also on our tour. Actually, the "ghost" was a descendant of Lee who could probably make a lot of money pretending to be Lee or Lee's ghost. Lee's descendant told us a little more about Lee and the family's history than our tour guide had read about in his study materials.

Tuesday: Mom, Dad, and I tour the Natural Bridge. Thomas Jefferson said it best when he said, "The Natural Bridge, the most sublime of Nature's works." True dat. Dad said:

After Jefferson, I don't know why anyone bothered to say anything about
Natural Bridge. Noah Webster said, "If you look up 'sublime' in the dictionary, you will find a picture of Natural Bridge." And everyone was like, "What's the point, bro? Just stop talking."


I thought the Bridge was going to be a narrow, rickety thing that had the footsteps marked for where to step to get across. But, US-11 runs across it, so thousands of cars cross it every day. Not quite so fascinating. But, our pictures, whenever I get my camera back, will be fascinating.

No comments: