Sunday, February 24, 2008

More on Funerals

My great uncle Bob died. I liked Bob, after I was old enough to appreciate his humor. As a kid, I didn't realize that he was kidding often as he took jabs at us, so I was wary of him. One time when Bob said something to Jessie and I was a little horrified by it and Dad laughed, I realized that it was a joke and then I understood. His style is now one part of my delivery--saying things with a straight face and letting others realize you're kidding or being ridiculous. Bob married into the Sprenkles. Since he was so funny, that was also a surprise to me. Bob was also an avid Orioles fan. During the last week, he was concerned about the Orioles recent trades, including the possibility of trading Brian Roberts.

I did not attend his funeral. I probably should have. My mom said something strange: "It was a nice funeral. I think you would have liked it." Huh? I didn't think I was really rating funerals...

No comments: