Sunday, January 14, 2007

Football Playoffs: Brought to You by Kickers

I picked the winning teams in this round exactly: Saints, Colts, Patriots, and Bears. The Saints pick upset Frank--even more so when I got it right. I have been predicting since last season that the Saints would win the Superbowl. Yeah, there was no chance last season, but this season, it looks possible.

What amazed me most, though, was how big of a role the kickers played. Baltimore and Indianapolis scored no touchdowns. Kickers won three of the four games.

In some sports, I don't cheer for teams--I cheer for positions. In football, I cheer for kickers. Most of football is a team sport--until you get to the field goals and extra points. Then, the kicker becomes the hero or is blamed. I felt bad for San Diego's kicker, who missed a 54-yard field goal, which would have sent the game into overtime.

I cheer for the goalies in sports like hockey, lacrosse, and soccer. I root for a 1-0 game so that the losing goalie can't kick himself too much because he only gave up one goal.

No comments: