Thursday, June 25, 2009

Today's Rant

At a recent research group gathering, several people didn't know who David Lee Roth was. Not that I'm biggest fan, but I know who he is. I joked that I was going to have a series of lectures on pop culture. Today, I explained that David Lee Roth is the lead singer of Van Halen. The response: "Who is Van Halen?" The top songs I came up with by Van Halen were "Jump" and "Right Now". Emily piped up, "You Really Got Me."

What? That's not Van Halen. It took me awhile to come up with The Kinks as the originator of that song. (I'm disappointed in myself too.) I didn't know (or at least remember) that Van Halen had a cover of the Kinks' song. Emily insisted that the Van Halen version was the famous one. What?!? I'm not sure how to measure that, but it just seems wrong to call that song a Van Halen song.

I was searching for the lyrics to a Christmas song on the Web, and the first page that came up was one that was titled "Hanson Lyrics". Sigh.

Emily said that she likes some remakes better than the original. I suggested Madonna's "American Pie", which Emily claimed she had never heard. YouTube to the rescue, and she was scarred for life.

No comments: