Monday, October 13, 2008

Tuesday's Child

Are you familiar with the poem "Monday's Child"?

Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go.
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for a living,
And the child that is born on the Sabbath Day,
Is bonny and blithe and good and gay.


Mom always liked this poem because she was born on Sunday. I was born on Tuesday, which, according to the poem, should mean that I am graceful. I am not.

Friday on my walk into school with a professor from the French department, I fell. I skinned my knee and rolled my ankle. I didn't realize the extent of the injuries until later. My pride was too hurt to notice the physical pain.

My mom said, "It really upsets me that all those years of dance lessons did not have any reflection in your ability to walk without mishap."

Just think how frequently I'd fall if I hadn't taken dance lessons.

No comments: