Friday, January 11, 2008

The Skeleton

(Did I get Kristina's attention?)

During er, the local news advertised that they had a news story about a skeleton that was found at a construction site and the information about the skeleton that may surprise me.

Luckily, the news led with this story. The bones were found at a construction site in Lexington. OK, now I'm more interested. Then, they mentioned where the bones were found--corner of Nelson and Randolph. I didn't think much of it. Then, I realized that that's the construction site that I walk past everyday on my way to school.

The skeleton appears to be a woman, possibly buried in the 18th or 19th century. They don't think there was any foul play. Bummer.

The Roanoke Times story is more understandable, but the WSLS story has pictures (sorry, no close ups).

I heard that there is a Cold Case episode loosely based on this event.

1 comment:

Kristina Killgrove said...

You did get my attention, but I was too distracted by prepping for teaching forensic anthropology to respond until now.

That WSLS story is indeed completely incomprehensible, especially the part about how the anthropologist determined it was a woman because of the pelvis. Women and men have pelvises of different shapes because women have to shoot a giant-headed baby out of theirs. That's what I would have said to reporters, anyway. And I'm a pro, having been on TV before for a forensic case.

Pretty cool that there was a dead colonial chick near your house, though. Maybe she'll come haunt you.